Thursday, August 27, 2026

"Ready to Register" Election Scam Targets Voters

Published in the Towns County Herald August 26, 2026

Dear Editor,

During the past year I have been a victim of both scam and fraud. The first was a scam over the telephone by a person posing as a Medicare representative requesting my card number in order to issue me a new plastic card. This scam was averted by reporting the incident to Medicare, and thus I learned to be more vigilant. Most recently I have experienced fraud attempts on my credit card by discovering unauthorized purchases on my monthly bill. The credit card’s fraud department will investigate and resolve this issue but, once again, it pays to be vigilant. 

I have learned of a new scam, “Ready to Register,” which is designed to interfere with voting rights. If a “Ready to Register” mailer is received in the mail, do not complete or return it. The Georgia Secretary of State’s Office, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the FBI are actively investigating the scam. These mailers are a back door attempt to justify the voter suppression measures in the controversial Save Act and collect voter data that several federal judges have ruled against. Remember, it pays to be vigilant!

It is troubling to live in an era where scam and fraud are rampant. By staying informed and reporting dishonest behavior, the tide can be turned.

Jennifer Cordier


No comments:

Post a Comment